Pure and crystal clear water is the lifeline of the universe. All of us know the importance of hydration but have you ever stopped and thought about the benefits of water?
From the nutritional and life-giving effect water has on the human body to helping with weight loss and even for beauty reasons, there are plenty of good reasons to drink it:
- Drinking water keeps your skin youthful and properly hydrated so it is less likely to dry out. Water helps you look younger by keeping skin hydrated and reduces wrinkles by filling in and plumping the skin.
- Water is a natural stress reliever. Even the sound of rushing waves or running water triggers a soothing response in the body and lowers stress.
- It helps you lose weight and maintain weight loss. No, it’s not a magic bullet like waving a magical fairy’s wand. The way it works is that when your belly is full of water, you are less likely to fill hungry. One study revealed that adults who drank two 8-ounce glasses of water before breakfast, lunch and dinner ended up eating 75 to 90 fewer calories during each meal. (Yay Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini season!)
- Water boosts mood and brain power. It is estimated that the brain makes up only about 1/50 of the entire weight of the body, but uses 1/20 of the blood supply. Drinking water helps you think clearly to learn as it increases cognitive function because it helps to deliver the oxygen the brain needs. Studies have shown that drinking 8 to 10 cups of water a day improves brain performance by as much as 30 percent. Additionally, drinking water supports proper nerve function, making it easier for the brain and the nervous system to communicate.
- Drinking water prevents constipation by providing the proper amount of fluids to the gastrointestinal tract. Drinking water maintains a balance of fluids in our body to aid in digestion, circulation, transfer and absorption of nutrients, maintaining a proper body temperature, and to create saliva.